39W556 Sheldon Lane
Geneva, IL 60134
- Facilitator, Illinois Innovation Talent Project, Rounds One and Two
- Engaged Tech Trainer for Glenbard West High School, using technology to help teachers build student-centered classrooms and assessment
- Certified Palm Educational Training Coordinator, June 2003
- Compass Trainer [Glenbard District 87 Staff Development Program]
- Co-founder of PRISM, the Gay/Straight Alliance at Glenbard West that works for all human rights
- Founder of the Glenbard West Tech Squad and WIMS, a mentoring program for young women in math and science
- Co-developer and teacher of Problem-Based Communications and Technology, a problem-based learning course at West
- Director of PBL Collaboration between students and major law firm
- Author of two textbooks that integrate technology and process writing
- Member of the Faculty of the Harris Institute for Problem-Based Learning, 1996-1999 and 2001-2002
- Teacher-leader in the Illinois Problem-Based Learning Network, developing new training opportunities for Illinois teachers
- Founder of the Learning Skills Center, a resource program for both teachers and students, 1985-1987, designated a "National Center of Excellence" by the National Council of Teachers of English
- Participant in ACE ["Assisting Change in Education"] training, 1994
- Participant in three days of training by Edward deBono, 1985-1986
- Founder of Page to Stage, annual performance of student writing by students, designed to provide student writers with a real audience
- Chairman of Basic Council, 1984-1987, and founder of Basic Newsletter
- 2010 Global Education for the 21st Century Conference, Rockford, IL, June
- 2010 PBL Partnerships that Foster 21st Century Learning Skills
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Annual Conference, San Francisco, March 2003, "Problem-Based Learning: A Panel Discussion" and Straight but Not Narrow: The Case for Straight Allies to Keep Schools Safe
- Illinois Computing Educators Annual Conference, St. Charles, Illinois, February 2003, Handhelds and High School: From Concept to Classroom
- AutoDesk Kids Who Know and Do Conference, San Francisco, March 2003, Transforming Attitudes: PBL and Service
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Annual Conference, San Antonio, Texas, March 1998, "Zen and the Art of Professional Development"
- National Council of Teachers of English Fall Conference, Detroit, Michigan, November 1997, "Huck Finn Meets Lawrence Kohlberg: How Literature Illuminates Our Paths"
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Annual Conference, Baltimore, Maryland, March 1997, "Problem-Based Learning: A Showcase for a New Vision" and "Problem-Based Learning: A Panel Discussion"
- Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development/Illinois Association of Teacher Educators Joint Conference, Naperville, Illinois, September 1997, "Zen and the Art of Professional Development"
- Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Action Research Conference, Naperville, Illinois, September 1997, featured speaker: "Action Research at the Secondary Level"
- Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development "Step Out of the Box" Conference, Oakbrook, Illinois, March 1996, "Project OMEGA and Problem-Based Learning"
- Illinois Association of Teacher of English, Fall Conference, Champaign, Illinois, October 1995, "Weaving a Writing Workshop into an Already Packed Curriculum"
- National Council of Teachers of English Fall Conference, Louisville, Kentucky, November 1992, "Computers, Collaboration, and Composition"
- HISED Conference, Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois, April 1992, "Hidden Voices: Creative Writing in Special Education"
- National Council of Teachers of English Spring Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana, March, 1992, "Poetry and Technology: No Oxymoron Here!"
- North Shore Writing Consortium, Schaumburg, Illinois, March, 1992, "Hidden Voices: Creative Writing in Special Education"
- West Suburban Writing Consortium, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, February 1992, "Page to Stage: an Annual Celebration of Student Writing"
- HISED Conference, Illinois State University, Normal, Illinois, April 1991, "Page to Stage: an Annual Celebration of Student Writing"
- National Council of Teachers of English Spring Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana, March 1991, "Providing Real Audiences for our Student Writers"
PARTICIPANT IN DISTRICT WORK
- Member of District Technology and Staff Development Committees, 1999-2004
- Member of Building Technology Committee, 1999-2004
- Member of Multicultural Task Force (District and Building)
- Member of District Strategic Plan Implementation Team
- Member of District #87 Tracking Committee, Co-author of report, 1990-1992
- Glenbard Education Association: Building Chair and Member of Executive Board, 1989-1991
- Author, Illinois Innovation Talent Problem Booklet and Summary Report, 2008-2009
- Grant writer for District 87, 1/94-6/95
- *Writing with Microsoft Works on the Macintosh, *South-Western, 1994
- *Writing with AppleWorks: Better Writing Made Easier, *South-Western, 1992
- "Students Hired by High-Power Chicago Law Firm," *IASCD Update, *February/March 1999
- "Problem-Based Learning: Connecting Students to American Literature," *The Problem Log, *Winter 1998
- "Summer Sleuths: Investigating Problem-Based Learning and Scientific Literacy," Illinois School Research and Development Journal, Spring, 1997
- "Project OMEGA: A Winning Approach for At-risk Teens," Illinois School Research and Development Journal, Fall, 1996
- "Real Audience? We Take It from the Page to the Stage!" *English Journal*, February 1993**
- "Don't Tell Them I Wrote That! _ Hidden Voices in Special Ed. English" (with Mary Kaminsky),* Illinois English Bulletin*, Spring 1993* *
- "Tracking: A Rebuttal," *English Journal, *December 1990
- "Reading's Fun -- Pass It On,"* Ideas Plus, Book Three, *NCTE, 1985
- Founder of and contributor to Glenbard West Basic Council Newsletter
- Author, district curriculum: Sophomore Basic, Honors Sequence, Comm-Tech, English 3
- Illinois Writing Project training, Basic and Advanced (Leadership, 8/92)
- Co-author of *Nucleonics/Writing to Learn *project, 1987
COLLABORATOR WITH SPECIAL EDUCATION
PROBLEM-BASED LEARNING LEADER
- Facilitator, IMSA PBL Initiatives, 2008-2011
- Associate, Center for Problem-Based Learning, Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
- Member of the Faculty, Harris Institute for Problem-Based Learning, 1997-99 and 2001
- Member of Illinois Problem-Based Learning Network, 1995 on
- PBL Trainer/Staff Developer, District #87 and Niles North High School, Skokie, IL
- Developer and Teacher of "Problem-Based Communications and Technology"
- Regular contributor to *The Problem Log, *ASCD's PBL Network newsletter
MEMBER OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1988 - 2010
- Illinois Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1992 - 2010
- Illinois Staff Development Council, 1997-2002
- National Council of Teachers of English, 1971-1975 and 1980 - 2004
- Illinois Association of Teachers of English, 1980 - 2004
- International Reading Association, 1977-1980
- State of Illinois Master Teacher, 1984
- Glenbard West High School, Glen Ellyn, IL, English and Reading, 1980 - 2004
- Batavia High School, Batavia, IL, English and Reading, 1979-1980
- North Haven High School, North Haven, CT, English, January - June, 1979
- Orchard Hill Junior High School, North Haven, CT, Title I Reading, August 1978 - January 1979 and April - June, 1978
- Fifty-eight graduate hours (post-Master's)
- Southern Connecticut State University, New Haven: M.S. in Reading, December, 1978
- University of Wisconsin, Madison: B.S. in English and Education with Honors, January, 1970